Everybody loves a kitten. They’re cute, they’re cuddly, and they do lots of funny things that make great YouTube videos. Bringing home a kitten for the first time is very exciting, but can also be a bit scary at the same time once you realise how much there is to think about in terms of their daily care. What should they eat? When can you let them outside? What sort of vaccinations do they need? When do you start flea control, and how often do they need to see a vet? If you’ve never had a cat before, the links below and those in the other pages listed on the menu can help. If you have any concerns at all, speak with your vet and remember — kittens are for life!
- Cats Protectionwww.cats.org.uk/cat-care/care-leaflets/essential-guides — a very handy collection of guides about many general cat care topics, including caring for a kitten, just download the ones you need. They also have a really nice website for children about how to care for cats at www.cats.org.uk/cats-for-kids/home.
- International Cat Carewww.icatcare.org/advice/cat-care — a great introduction to owning a cat, including a section that helps you decide whether a kitten or an adult cat is best for you.
- Blue Cross www.bluecross.org.uk/1957-2749/caring-for-your-kitten.html — a good summary of general kitten care.
- RSPCAwww.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/cats — there is an interesting cat fact file and also a comprehensive document about caring for cats, both available for download on their website.
- Merial www.merial.co.uk/Cat/Pages/advice_cats.aspx — written by the company that makes our vaccines, they have handy guides on kitten behaviour and general cat care.